On the bottom right of the site on any page while viewing the site on desktop you’ll see a Messages bar. Click this to reveal the Live Chat Widget.
Here you’ll see a list of active conversations – including the Live Chat (the main public chatroom open to all users), the Superfans Live Chat (which will only show for Superfans (users subscribed to our Patreon), and private messages between yourself and other individual members. Click any of the chats to open them in a separate mini chat window. You can have multiple chats open at once and the open status of those mini chat windows will remain as you navigate to other pages on the site.
Some Message content has been blurred to protect the privacy of other members.
At the bottom of the main Chat Widget, you’ll see you’ll see your avatar and name along with your Online Status. Clicking anywhere here will bring up the Online Status settings, allowing you to set your status. The options are Online, Away and Do Not Disturb.
The pencil icon on the bottom left will allow you start New chat thread. A new mini window will open to the left.
Here you can search for members to start chatting with. Just start typing their name and then click on the user as they appear in the list.
Note that if the user has set their privacy settings to only allow Friends to chat with them and you are not a confirmed Friends on the site, then they will not appear in the list. If you already have an active conversation with this user, then the message you send will be added into the already existing conversation. If you haven’t chatted with this user before, then a new thread will be started.
In the top-right of each mini chat window, there are 3 icons with extra options.
More – Clicking this 3-dots icon will reveal extra Chat Options.
The options include:
- Mute Thread – This will stop any Notifications of new messages in this particular thread.
- Add New Participants – This will only show if you have authority to add new users to a thread – Admins can invite participants to any thread. Other users can inviter users to group threads if they have that authority.
- Clear Messages – This will clear all messages in this particular thread – if you have the authority to clear messages.
- Block User – This will only show in private threads between 2 users and will block the other user so they can no longer message you.
- Delete Thread – This will delete the entire thread. The option will only appear if you have the authority.
Maximise – This will jump to the main Messages page on your profile which shows the larger version of the chat module.
Close – This will close the chat window.
For more information on the mechanics of the actual chat, including the ability to reply to specific messages, add attachments or use emojis/reactions, please refer to the main Messages section in the My Profile Documentation.